Shortly after college opened in the fall of '96, Dickinson women began to consider how they might obtain the training, which is best furnished by active work in a Literary Society. After consulting with the President, they met October 21, to formally consider the question, with sixteen present. After effecting a temporary organization, a committee on constitution was appointed. It was then suggested that the society be named in honor of Dr. Harman. On November 18, 1896, the constitution, together with the name was formally adopted.