Browse documents by date

  • warning: Declaration of views_handler_field::query() should be compatible with views_handler::query($group_by = false) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_field.inc on line 1148.
  • warning: Declaration of content_handler_field::element_type($none_supported = false, $default_empty = false) should be compatible with views_handler_field::element_type($none_supported = false, $default_empty = false, $inline = false) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/cck/includes/views/handlers/content_handler_field.inc on line 229.
  • warning: Declaration of views_handler_argument::options_validate(&$form, &$form_state) should be compatible with views_handler::options_validate($form, &$form_state) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_argument.inc on line 917.
  • warning: Declaration of views_handler_argument::query() should be compatible with views_handler::query($group_by = false) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_argument.inc on line 917.
  • warning: Declaration of date_api_argument_handler::options_validate($form, &$form_state) should be compatible with views_handler_argument::options_validate(&$form, &$form_state) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/date/includes/date_api_argument_handler.inc on line 398.
  • warning: Declaration of views_handler_sort::options_validate(&$form, &$form_state) should be compatible with views_handler::options_validate($form, &$form_state) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_sort.inc on line 165.
  • warning: Declaration of views_handler_sort::options_submit(&$form, &$form_state) should be compatible with views_handler::options_submit($form, &$form_state) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_sort.inc on line 165.
  • warning: Declaration of views_handler_sort::query() should be compatible with views_handler::query($group_by = false) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_sort.inc on line 165.
  • warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_validate(&$form, &$form_state) should be compatible with views_handler::options_validate($form, &$form_state) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_filter.inc on line 599.
  • warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::query() should be compatible with views_handler::query($group_by = false) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_filter.inc on line 599.
  • warning: Declaration of views_plugin_query::options_submit(&$form, &$form_state) should be compatible with views_plugin::options_submit($form, &$form_state) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/plugins/views_plugin_query.inc on line 181.
  • warning: Declaration of views_plugin_style_default::options(&$options) should be compatible with views_object::options() in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/plugins/views_plugin_style_default.inc on line 24.
  • warning: Declaration of views_plugin_row::options_validate($form, &$form_state) should be compatible with views_plugin::options_validate(&$form, &$form_state) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/plugins/views_plugin_row.inc on line 136.

Date: December 15, 1945

The Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees recommended to the Board the appointment of a "special committee of five" to look into the construction of a women's dormitory. They suggested the building be erected on Mooreland Campus and be adequate to house 150 women.

The report of the President of the Board of Trustees detailed the special committee's presentation of June 3, 1945 recommending that the new women's dormitory be constrcuted on Mooreland campus and be "adequate to house at least 125 girls." The report explains that female students resided in Metzger Hall, the Gibbs House for seniors, the Parker House, and in two leased fraternity houses. According to the report, the college did not own Metzger Hall, and the college would need to spend a great deal of money to renovate the sixty-year old building.

Dean Ernest A. Vuilleumier reported to the Board of Trustees that the college had rented two fraternity houses (Phi Delta Theta and Beta Theta Pi) in order to provide additional housing for female students. According to Vuilleumier, the return of fraternity members to campus would require that the college develop an alternative form of housing for female students. Therefore, the dean recommended that the college convert East College into a women's dormitory.

Date: 1946

"Personal Adventures in Race Relations" by Esther Popel Shaw (class of1919), Dickinson's first African American female graduate, was published in 1946. It addresses the sources of prejudice and racism, and she urges in her introduction that cooperation is necessary to overcome these detrimental assumptions regarding African Americans. "At a time when all our energies are needed to meet and solve together the crucial problems of the postwar period, we find a large element of the population torn by resentment, suspicion and hatred.

Date: 1946-1947

The 1946-1947 Microcosm bids farewell to Dean Josephine B. Meredith, who served the college as dean of women for 25 years. The Microcosm cites her "philosophy and indefatigable sense of humor, together with her wisdom about youth and its trials" as what made her well-suited to giving female students advice. In this Microcosm, Dean Helen B.

The 1946-1947 Microcosm presented Dickinson's Campus Queens for the academic year. Milton Caniff chose the Campus Queens and signed his photograph, included in the feature, "for the 1947 Microcosm with my very best wishes." Campus beauties included: Mary Elizabeth Derr, Ann Elizabeth Thompson, Sarah Jean Frew, Virginia Rickenbach, and Mary Jean Reynolds.

Date: February 1, 1946

This pamphlet highlights the many rules governing Dickinson students regarding attendance, including special rules and penalties. Class could only be missed for chapel or medical necessities, either due to illness or prearranged for appointments. Demerits were received for skipped classes and being late, even for Physical Education classes. Every unexcused absense was worth 5 demerits, but that was doubled if it was the day before or following a holiday break.

Date: June 7, 1946

Chairman S. Walter Stauffer of the Committee on Grounds and Buildings presented his report on women's housing. He confirmed that East College would be renovated for female residents for the Fall Session as soon as the male students departed in June. The building would house approximately 100 women.

President Boyd Lee Spahr addressed the issue of housing for women in his report to the Board of Trustees. He proposed the use of East College as a women's dormitory in addition to Metzger Hall, explaining that these two buildings would house 171 women. He also proposed changing the Gibbs House from a women's dormitory to a residence for male students. The Board of Trustees approved this recommendation.

Date: June 6, 1947

President William W. Edel reported the inadequate housing situation to the Board of Trustees. The president explained that the lack of housing in Carlisle made it difficult to attract prospective professors. Due to the fact that male students would not occupy the Gibbs House during the next academic year, the college planned to use it to house 20 female students. This change would mean that women students would reside in Metzger Hall, East College, and the Gibbs House.

Date: 1947

Included in the 1947 student handbook is a list of seven rules freshman students were required to adhere to. Freshman women were expected to wear armbands, rise when the Dean of Women or any other college official entered the room, women were required to speak to all professors and their wives, "give the right of precedence to the women of the upper classes," and were required to know "something of the college history." Added in 1947, the seventh rule stated, "sole power to interpret any of the foregoing rules shall be vested in the Women's Committee on Freshman Orientation."

Date: June 4, 1948

President William W. Edel's annual report to the college recommended the retirement of Josephine Brunyate Meredith and her election as Professor Emerita of English. In response to her retirement and others, the college filled the vacancies with part-time instructors.

Date: June 5, 1948

According to an article in The Dickinsonian, Josephine B. Meredith will retire from Dickinson's faculty after serving the college for 29 years. The former dean had graduated from Dickinson in 1901, received a masters in English, and married Arthur Meredith. She became the dean of women of the college in 1919 and served as an English professor as well. Meredith's interests included knitting, chatting with friends, and studying John Wesley. She also travelled to England, Canada, and the European continent.

Date: 1948

Included in the 1948-49 student handbook is a list of seven rules freshman students were required to adhere to.

Independent Women was a group of women unaffiliated with any women's social fraternity. Included in the 1948 student handbook is a description of the organization as well as a their location on campus.  Patricia Beetlestone served as President; Estelle Bernard as Vice-president; June Lovell as secretary and Jennie Baner as Treasurer. 50 women were affiliated with Independent Women during the 1948-49 academic year.

Date: 1949

In 1949, the Microcosm gave the student body the task of selecting seven female students to be the "queens" of campus. In past years, they outsourced the selection process to artists or servicemen not associated with student body but decided to change this policy because student body has contact with female students. Thus, students could judge queens "based on character, personality, attractiveness, and popularity." Sarah J. Frew was elected the Queen of the year, and other queens included Virginia L. Parlin, Janet Z. Schultz, Lois Jane Barnard, Alice R. Rogers, Mary E.

The 1949 Microcosm discussed the "Ten-Year Development Program" that President William W. Edel presented on the 175th Anniversary of the college. The yearbook reproduced excerpts from the speech. In one excerpt, President Edel admits that the female students' living quarters are old and that the college has provided no dormitory for the students since the institution became co-educational in 1884.

Included in the 1949-50 student handbook is a list of nine rules freshman students were required to adhere to. The rules went in to effect at 8am September 26, 1949.

Under the "rooms" section of the student handbook of 1949-50, is a description of material items provided by the college to female and male students. Female students were supplied with "the necessary furniture, and rugs, curtains, bureau covers, waste baskets, and lamp." Male students were supplied with "all the necessary heavy furniture, such as, beds, study table, dressers, waste basket, a study light, and chairs." Female students were cautioned not to bring electrical items nor post pictures to the walls.
 

Date: December, 1949

The December 1949 Dickinson Alumnus documents a fellow alumna, Frances L. Willoughby '27, who was awarded a commission. However, Willoughby was not awarded just any kind of commission, but she received the honor of being the first woman doctor to receive a Navy Commission. She entered the Naval Reserve as a lieutenant in 1944, and appointed to permanent staff only 4 months after and in 1946 she achieved the rank of Lieutenant Commander. After graduating from Dickinson, Willoughby went on to receive a medical degree from the University of Arkansas School of Medicine.

Date: December 10, 1949

"It seems to me that the time has now arrived for us to face the question of the actual construction of the Women's Dormitory," writes President William W. Edel in his report to the Board of Trustees. He recommends that the board not delay any longer in the creation of detailed construction plans. He outlines areas in the budget from which the college can draw funds to pay for the construction. He suggests that the college begin building by June and that a Building Committee acquire plans, specifications and bids before the construction of the first unit of the women's dorm.

Date: 1950

The Dickinson College Pan-Hellenic Council is an organization that is comprised of and serves all of the women's fraternities on campus.  In 1950, the purposes of the Pan-Hellenic Council were to compile rules governing processes such as rush, pledging, and initiation on campus.  They also generally supported interfraternity relations on campus.  Two delegates from each of the women's fraternities on campus comprised the Pan-Hellenic Council.  Edna Mae Ferguson served as President and Lynn Andersen was the Secretary-Treasurer in 1950.

Drayer Hall was the first residence hall in Dickinson’s history built by the college solely for women. This photo depicts two women studying in a Drayer Hall dorm room,
c. 1950. The names of the women are not known. If you recognize someone
in the photo, feel free to post the information below.

Drayer Hall was the first residence hall in Dickinson’s history built by the college solely for women. This photo depicts three women studying in a Drayer Hall dorm room, c. 1950. The names of the women are not known. If you recognize someone in the photo, feel free to post the information below.

Drayer Hall was the first residence hall in Dickinson’s history built by the college solely for women. This photo depicts a woman relaxing in a Drayer Hall dorm room, c. 1950. The name of the woman is not known. If you recognize her, feel free to post the information below.

Pi Beta Phi, the first national women's fraternity at Dickinson, continued their service, scholastic, and social activities in 1950.  One of their activities consisted of sponsoring a series of rummage sales, which raised money in support of the chapter's "adopted" war orphan in Italy - Inide Vasalli.  They also held their annual Settlement School Dance, and the proceeds benefited the Pi Phi-sponsored schools for underprivileged children in Tennessee.  The following women served as officers of the Pennsylvania Gamma Chapter of Pi Beta Phi: Lois Jana Barnard, President; Nancy L.

Chi Omega, the second national women's fraternity installed at Dickinson, gave its members opportunities to participate in a variety of social and service activities in 1950.  Like other organizations on campus, the women of Chi Omega supported the war effort by sponsoring a French orphan named Marie Claire Geoffrey.  In addition, they volunteered their services at the Carlisle Community Center.  Social events such as the Pledge Dance and Spring Formal were highlights of the year.  The following members served as officers: Victoria K. Hann, president; Marilyn A.

Zeta Tau Alpha was the newest women's fraternity on campus in 1950.  After forming the local chapter Zeta Eta Phi Sorority in 1921, the girls decided to become a nationally-chartered charter organization in 1924.  Their projects include supporting Zeta Tau Alpha national projects such as a National Scholarship Fund which has provided funds for more than 300 girls since 1912.  Members of Zeta Tau Alpha who served on the executive board include Helen Benson, president; Pamela Burr, vice-president; Mary Waldron, secretary; and Polly Metzger, treasurer.

In 1950 the women of the Beta Delta chapter of Phi Mu kept busy with a variety of social, athletic, and service-related activities.  In the past year they celebrated the 30th anniversary of their chapter's installation, created and ran a "Toycart" in the children's ward of the Carlisle Hospital, and caputred the Interfraternity Basketball Cup for 1949.  The chapter also held possession of the Pi Beta Phi Scholarship Cup for the third consecutive year.  Members of the chapter who served as executive officers in 1950 included Rosalie R. Enders, president; Barbara J.

The 1950 Microcosm lists the college administration, including a new dean of women. While the 1949 Microcosm listed Dean Helen B. Norcross, the 1950 yearbook presented Dean of Women Phoebe Follmer.

While the 1949 Microcosm gave the task of judging the year's campus queens to the student body, the yearbook of 1950 returned to the practice of outsourcing the judging. In 1950, Conrad Thibault, a radio and concert singer, had experience as a judge of the Miss America Beauty Contest. He chose Joan Davisson as the Queen of Dickinson College and Ann Frescott as the runner-up. Other female students selected as "The Unusual Six of a Kind" included: Lois Jane Barnard, Patricia Bradley, Barbara Neilson, Alice Rogers, Grace Wiest, and Frances Scott.

Date: c. 1950

This candid photograph shows three female students, Rebecca Simmons (Class of 1954), Ann Barnard (Class of 1954), and Suzanne Ritter (Class of 1954), in the Dean of Women's office, Mary-Margaret Kellogg, circa 1950.

Date: September, 1950

This candid shot of women singing at Metzger Hall was taken in September of 1950. The women in this photograph are as follows, from left to right, Jean McAnally (Class of 1954), Rebecca Simmons (Class of 1954), Ann Barnard (Class of 1954), Suzanne Ritter (Class of 1954), Barbara Winey (Class of 1954), Alice Hamer (Class of 54), Elizabeth Tivney (Class of 1954), Jean Rowe (Class of 1952), and Mary Shelley (Class of 1954).

Date: September 1950

Drayer Hall is planned as Dickinson College's first purpose-built all female dorm on South College St.

Date: December 9, 1950

In a report to the Board of Trustees, President William W. Edel recommended the removal of the restrictions in existence at the college on the percentage of women students allowed to enroll. His report on faculty reductions suggests that college enrollment had declined significantly and that the college's finances were in danger. The Board of Trustees, however, approved the recommendation with the stipulation that the "present restrictions on the percentage of women students be removed for the present emergency" [emphasis added].

Date: December 10, 1950

President William W. Edel mentioned in his report to the Board of Trustees that Phoebe Follmer married John F. Bacon on November 11, 1950 and was granted a leave of absence without pay for the rest of the academic year. The college appointed Mary-Margaret Kellogg as Acting Dean of Women with the Rank of Instructor for part-time service at a salary of $125.00 per month. He requested the board's approval for this action.

President William W. Edel reported to the Board of Trustees that the Building Committee had secured bids for the new Women's Dormitory and had signed a contract with the Potteiger Company for $642,955. The college held ground-breaking activities at Homecoming Day on November 4, 1950.

Date: 1951

The 1951 Microcosm lists a new dean of women, Mary-Margaret Kellogg. In 1950, the Microcosm listed Phoebe Follmer as dean of women.

Upon her arrival at Dickinson College in 1886, Elizabeth Low was shocked to find that no housing arrangements had been made for female students. Unlike their male counterparts, early female Dickinsonians were not permitted to live in dorms on campus. Moreover, the school had not found housing in town for the young women.

During her first few weeks at Dickinson College, Elizabeth Low attended her first football game.  Accompanied by a male sophomore from Dickinson College, Low watched Dickinson play against Swarthmore. A few minutes into the game, their was an accident. The roomate of Low's escort was dead. He had hit his head while playing football. Low wrote that "That was the first football game I ever attended and by far the most tragic. There were many firsts in my life at Dickinson."

In her memoir recounting her time at Dickinson, Elizabeth Low describes her time at Dickinson College. She wrote, "My college life seemed a little one sided and lopsided at that. I got the broader view, and about as bitter an experience as any girl could have."

In her memoir recounting her time at Dickinson, Elizabeth Low remembers the first space soley for female students at Dickinson College. According to Low, the room was on the first floor of Bosler, next to the chapel. According to Low, the room was created after Dr. Reed became the President of the College.

In her memoir recounting her time at Dickinson, Elizabeth Low remembers President Reed advising female students not to pursue certain careers. According to Low, after reading her oration, President Reed, "using my manuscript as a foundation, he read and refuted, telling me some of the fundamental truths of life. I still thanked him. Today, the idea of a woman entering other profession than teaching would pass without comment."

The members of the Pennsylvania Gamma Chapter of Pi Beta Phi maintained their dedication to service and social activities in 1951.  Their main service projects included supporting an Italian war orphan as well as their national chapter's Settlement School in Tennessee. Officers of Pi Beta Phi in 1951 included Sarah L. Haddock, president; Suzanne E. Horner, vice-president; Nancy Bartoil, recording secretary; and Emily G. Mohler, treasurer.

In 1951, the Delta Chapter of Chi Omega maintained a busy agenda of service, scholastic, and social activities.  They continued to work in the Carlisle Community Center, and in addition they sponsored a veteran hospital bed and contributed to the creation of CARE packages.  They held roundtable discussions on vocations and held their annual Pledge Dance and Spring Formal.  Additionally, the Delta chapter was represented nationally, as Delta alumnae Mary Love Collins and Elizabeth Dyer served as National President and National Vice-President of Chi Omega, respectively.  The officers of the D

The women of Zeta Tau Alpha, founded at Dickinson in 1924, continued to promote scholastic and philanthropic work among their members.  Many of their activities stem from the National chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha, including the National Scholarship Fund, which has provided for the education of more than 300 girls; the Naitonal Society for Crippled Children and Adults, and the Cerebral Palsy Foundation.  Mary Jo Edinger served as the chapter president, Dorthy Elizabeth Parker was the vice president, Elinor J. Pond was the secretary, and Louise M. Mixell was the treasurer.

In 1951 the members of the Beta Delta Chapter of Phi Mu continued to dedicate themselves to philanthropic and social projects inspired by their national chapter.  Their philanthropic work in 1951 included maintaining a "toy cart" at the Carlisle Hospital and making weekly visits to a local orphanage.  Phi Mu pledges participated in the Pan-Hellenic Doll Dance, winning a trophy for their efforts.  The executive officers of Phi Mu in 1951 were Joan C. Kline, president; Rachel A. Smith, vice-president; Nancy L. Bain, secretary; and Barbara J.

While the 1950 Microcosm reverted to the practice of outsourcing the judging of "campus beauties," the 1951 editorial board of the Microcosm selected four coeds "as outstanding beauties of the college" and refused to name one of the coeds as queen. These coeds included: A. Blythe Barnes, Ruth A. McCoid, Ann L. Prescott, and Drue R. Stewart.

In her 1951 memoir, Elizabeth A. Low recounts her time at Dickinson College as an early "co-ed." Low's memoir traces her career as a student in the preparatory school through to her latter years as a college student. Her story not only highlights Dickinson campus culture in the late nineteenth-century, but it also discusses what it was like to be an early female student at Dickinson College. Due to the large amount of information included in the piece, the document has been broken up into several posts with several themes including:

Date: January 1, 1951

In the 1951-52 Student Handbook describes the annual Doll Dance in its "Social Events" section. The handbook explains that the dance is held on the last night before Christmas Vacation. It was started by female Dickinsonians in 1901 when they promised Mrs. Maude Ballington Booth that they would "make and collect dolls to be given to the children of New York prisoners." Dancing and skits by students were central to the activities of the evening.