Browse documents by date

  • strict warning: Non-static method view::load() should not be called statically in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/views.module on line 1118.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_field::query() should be compatible with views_handler::query($group_by = false) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_field.inc on line 1148.
  • strict warning: Declaration of content_handler_field::element_type() should be compatible with views_handler_field::element_type($none_supported = false, $default_empty = false, $inline = false) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/cck/includes/views/handlers/content_handler_field.inc on line 229.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_argument::options_validate() should be compatible with views_handler::options_validate($form, &$form_state) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_argument.inc on line 917.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_argument::query() should be compatible with views_handler::query($group_by = false) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_argument.inc on line 917.
  • strict warning: Declaration of date_api_argument_handler::options_validate() should be compatible with views_handler_argument::options_validate(&$form, &$form_state) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/date/includes/date_api_argument_handler.inc on line 398.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_sort::options_validate() should be compatible with views_handler::options_validate($form, &$form_state) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_sort.inc on line 165.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_sort::options_submit() should be compatible with views_handler::options_submit($form, &$form_state) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_sort.inc on line 165.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_sort::query() should be compatible with views_handler::query($group_by = false) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_sort.inc on line 165.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_validate() should be compatible with views_handler::options_validate($form, &$form_state) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_filter.inc on line 599.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::query() should be compatible with views_handler::query($group_by = false) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_filter.inc on line 599.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_plugin_query::options_submit() should be compatible with views_plugin::options_submit($form, &$form_state) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/plugins/views_plugin_query.inc on line 181.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_plugin_style_default::options() should be compatible with views_object::options() in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/plugins/views_plugin_style_default.inc on line 24.
  • strict warning: Declaration of views_plugin_row::options_validate() should be compatible with views_plugin::options_validate(&$form, &$form_state) in /var/www/coeducation/sites/all/modules/views/plugins/views_plugin_row.inc on line 136.

Date: June 4, 1923

On June 4, 1923, Trustee Boyd Lee Spahr asked that the Board of Trustees return to the 1917 discussion on a quota on female students. He argued that the number of female students should be limited to 125 beginning in the 1924-25 school year. Disagreeing with Spahr, Trustee Walter Sounders contended that the number of female students should be capped at 25% of total enrollment. The Board agreed with Sounders and the amended motion was carried.

Date: August 1923

  • Ethelyn Hardesty, class of 1902, delivered a poem in honor of the 50th Anniversary of the founding of Westley Collegiate Institute in Dover, Delaware at the Alumni banquet.
  • Georgia Cranston, class of 1906, went off to Europe but got seriously ill; thus, she returned to Riverton, NJ where she spent a summer with her sister.
  • Carrie W. Woodward, class of 1912, "motored to Homestead...[where] [m]any social runctions were arranged in her honor by the hostess, Mrs. Julia Woodward," a Dickinson graduate from the class of 1909.

The Board of Trustees held their annual meeting every June. In 1923 they agreed to increase professors salaries very slightly and to endorse The Alumnus publication. Moreover, they approved the student body's request for the collection of a fee
from incoming students, which would be directed at supporting
activities such as the Athletic Association and Glee Clubs. This would
be of further use since it would reduce the number of people that
failed to show up when they were expected.

The enrollments for the academic year following 1923 were expected to be large both for the College and Law school. It was expected that there would be 520 students at the College and that a large number of prospective students would be turned away.
Hence, early in July, an edict was issued stating that " NO more women students would be admitted to the college" (emphasis added). Nonetheless, applications from women aspiring to be admitted continued to arrive.

Helen L. Witmer graduated in the year 1919; and set off to the University of Wisconsin, where she obtained her master's degree. There she applied and was awarded the Bryn Mawr Fellowship in social economy, valued at $810 at the time it was bestowed. It was to be used between 1923-1924, after wich she would return to Winsconsin to get her Ph. D.

Netta May Hoffman Hakes, class of 1900, passed away on Sunday July 29 at St. Vincent's Hospital, where she resided after an operation. Hoffman Hakes had been an active woman throughout her life. After graduation she became an active member of Dickinson Alumnae Club and the Pi Beta Phi Alumanae Club in New York. An active suffrage movement worker, she later canvassed for Liberty Bonds and other forms of work to aid the World War cause.
Her burial took place on August 2, 1923 at Cherry Hilly in Maryland.

Date: August 9, 1923

In a letter dated August 9, 1923, President Morgan wrote to Reverend John R. Edwards, warning him that three prominent Dickinsonians are attempting to abolish coeducation at Dickinson College. Morgan explained, "A few of the trustees have not been friendly to co-education for a good many years, and raised the question at commencement... Since commencement, however, it has developed that two or three, Boyd Lee Spahr, Esq., of Philadelphia, being their spokesman, Mr. Appold of Baltimore and Mr.

In a letter dated August of 1923, President Morgan wrote to Bishop William F. McDowell an informed him that coeducation at Dickinson College was in danger. Morgan wrote that "A few of the trustees have not been friendly to coeducation for a good many years, and raised the question at commencement, having it to take the form of a purpose to limit very decidedly the attendance of women." According to Morgan, Boyd Lee Spahr, Mr. Appold, and Mr.

Date: September 1923

The Women's Student Government Association of Dickinson College sought to "enact and enforce laws in accordance with the agreement between the official administration  of Dickinson College and the women students of Dickinson and to transact any business pertaining thereto." This constitution, printed in the student handbook of 1923, included information on membership, meetings, the executive, lesgislative, and  judicial departments, dues, amendment rules and by-laws. The senate board was comprised of the following women:  

This is the first mention of a "Women's Glee Club" in the 1923-24 student handbook, published by the Christian organizations. According to the handbook, the "women's glee club is analogous to the men's glee club" and gives several recitals throughout the academic year.

Date: November 1923

  • Maud Zeamer Keat, class of 1894, became head of the English department in the High School of Orange, NJ.
  • Anna Emrick, class of 1904, went on to teach English in the Flushing High School of NYC.
  • Ruth E. White, class of 1904, became part of the teaching staff for the Evander Child's High School.
  • Ethel Deatrick, class of 1909, was secretary of the Dickinson Alumnae Club of NYC, but later moved to Rutherford, NJ.

The American Association of University Women (A. A. U.W) was one of 17 organizations that formed part of the International Federation of University Women.
On July 17, 1923, in Portland, Oregon, Dickinson College became a corporate member of the A. A. U. W. Dickinson's President (Morgan), appointed the Dean of Women - Josephine Brunyate Meredith, class of 1901 - as the college's A. A. U. W.' executive secretary. She was to fulfill this post until an executive secretary could be chosen formally at a later time.

  • Anne E. Hoyer, class of 1926, wed John Paul Rupp, a 1926 graduate from Dickinson School of Law, on Labor Day in Westminister, MD.
  • Mildred Masonheimer, class of 1921, married William J. Long (1920) on August 10, 1923. The newlywed couple moved to Plainfield, NJ.
  • Mariette Holton, class of 1919, married Dr. E. W. Stitzel (1920) on September 26, 1923. Dickinsonians who attended the bridal party include: Ethel Wagg Selby (1915), Ada Bacon (1919), Dorothy Kurtz (1922), and Marion Keighley (1922).

Date: 1924

Founded in 1921, the McIntire Literary Society was depicted in the 1924 Microcosm. Evelyn Wardel, Mable Fitzgerald, Margaret Paul, Francis Smith, and Anna Hoke served as officers during the 1923-1924 school year. The society was comprised of forty members.

This document lists the names and addresses of thirty women who lived in Metzger Hall in 1924. The list includes names and home addresses. The women came from Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey.

In year book, "The Microcosm" for the year of 1924, the ladies of the Girl's Varsity Basketball Team are listeted along with the positions they held on the team. Rose Buckson held a position of a "manager". There were several women who played "forwards" position, including Mary McDermott, Virginia Watts, and Florence Spec. Sara McDermott held a "center" position and Ruth Tietrich was a "side center." The rest, Margaret Paul, Dolly Wertz, and Rose Buckson were the "guards."

Date: February 1924

For the first time in the history of Dickinson College, the Women's Basketball Team (a.k.a. the Co-Eds) played an extensive schedule against other colleges.They defeated Gettysburg with a score of 31 to 13 and were victors against Lebanon Valley with a score of 42 to 15.At the time of the publication, the Co-Eds remained to play against Shippensburg Normal School, Temple University and Ursinus. The last of these would be home games played on the floor of Carlisle's Y. W. C. A - which was directed by Ruth Walker.

Alumnae of the college would form active Dickinson Clubs in the cities they moved to and habitually reported to the 'Alumnus.'The Philadelphia Club included about 70 Dickinsonians who lived in the vicinity in 1923. They met twice a year. Grace Filler, class of 1910, was secretary.In Atlantic City, there were 7 Dickinson Alumnae, all of which were affiliated and worked actively with the A. A. U. W. (American Association for University Women). Mabel Kirk, class of 1905, sent the report of a sketch they presented to the 'Alumnus.'

  • Lily Mault, class of 1895 (Law School) became the President of the Woodhaen Women's Republican Club.
  • Jessie Houck, class of 1901, married and become Mrs. N. H. Shaffer. She moved to Oak Lane.
  • Elizabeth M. Craighead, class of 1901, became a French teacher in a Worcester, MA High School.
  • Edith Super, class of 1902, married a Mr. Clifford Anderson. Both were from Bakersfield, California. They became the "happy parents" of David Byron.

Mrs. Hugh A. Curran passed away at the home of President Morgan on February 7, 1924. Hypostatic pneumonia was the cause of her death at 81 years of age. Curran left a legacy of Dickinsonians by marrying a member of the class of 1860. She outlived her husband, and saw her son and daughter graduate from Dickinson. Mary C. Morgan was a member of the class of 1888 and James H. Curran graduated with the class of 1892. Mrs. Hugh Curran became the grandmother of 3 Dickinsonians.
 

Lydia M. Gooding, class of 1910, became the librarian at Dickinson College. As going to the library (whether in search of quietness for studying, or to search for reference readings assigned by professors) increased in popularity (for many years "going to the library wasn't considered quite the best form"), Gooding made some changes in dynamics that made running the library more efficient.

Date: February 18, 1924

The February 18, 1924 minutes for the Women's Senate documents the case of a female student brought before the senate to be reprimanded. The student in question was reprimanded by the President for "improper dancing at the last Kappa Sigma dance." Dean of Women, Josephine Meredith, was consulted about the proper punishment for the student's improper behavior. The Women's Senate "expressed themselves as against any improper dancing among Dickinson girls." Any punishments for the student's behavior were not mentioned in the minutes from this meeting.

Date: February 25, 1924

The Women's Senate minutes from February 25, 1924 discussed once again, the disciplinary action that must be taken for the freshman rule for the arm bands. It was ordered by the secretary to post notices for the freshmen that they "should wear armbands in all games, gymnasium classes, etc and that they must be worn above the elbow."

Date: April 28, 1924

The April 28, 1924 Women's Senate meeting minutes recorded more discussion and action towards a joint student senate. A proposed constitution for a joint senate was read, and several changes were suggested. After these changes were fixed, the senate accepted the constitution. No further information was given on the response from the college or the Men's Senate on the proposed joint constitution.

Date: May 1924

The Male:Female ratio within the Dickinson Faculty was very disproportionate. In this picture you see Josephine B. Meredith - Dean of Women and English; Sophie Louise de Vilaine - French faculty; and Hazel Jane Bullock - French faculty as the only women amongst an otherwise entirely male faculty.

  • Margaret Saxton, class of 1900, went on to teach modern languages in the Julia Richman High School in NYC.
  • Mary C. Love, later married to a Mr. Collins, was member of the graduate class of 1902. She became a Kentucky lawyer and national executive head of the Chi Omega Fraternity.
  • Laura Harris was a non-graduate of the class of 1908. She married Major E.D. Ellis and agreed to move to Cambridge, MA for two years when he was offered a detail as a student in the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration.

The "Dickinson Marching Song" was introduced by the Glee Club under the direction of Professor C. E. Wass, and presented to the entire student body.
The song was written and composed by Mrs. Helen Hall Bucher of Boiling Springs, PA - the mother of Helen Bucher Malcolm, who died before graduating but would have been part of the class of 1915.
 
 

Date: September 2, 1924

Dean Meredith writes to the young women of Dickinson College about their first day back to school. She gives the ladies specific times to arrive on campus and methods for travel. Dean Meredith also gives answers to questions the new students will probably ask, such as recommended room equipment. She recommends certain things, such as white curtains for the windows, glass and spoon for medicine, cushion covers, hot water bottle and a napkin ring.

Date: September 5,1924

Dean Meredith writes to the Parents of Women Day Students about some suggestions for their daughter's benefit, as well as some strictly enforced regulations. She proclaims that during the first six weeks of college, "no freshman woman...is allowed to attend social functions in Carlisle and thereafter only when her work is of passing grade" If a woman is to attend a social function, it must be approved by the Dean of Women, Dean Meredith and be chaperoned by college chaperons.

Date: October 21, 1924

In a letter to Dean Meredith, President Morgan advised the Dean of Women to make sure that women who are ill are using the infirmary. It had recently come to his attention they were not and were putting others at risk.

Date: November 1924

The Zeta Eta Phi Fraternity began as one of the local sororities. Seeking to be part of a national organization, however, they changed their name and became the Beta Beta chapter under the Zeta Tau Alpha sorority.
A welcome reception open to the student body was given at Memorial Hall, but the ceremonies partitioned by national officers were held at Mrs. Fred P. Mohler's home (wife of one of Dickinson's professors).

  • The Women's Glee Club was in action under the leadership of William Bretz (of Harrisburg), who in the year of 1924 completed his fourth year as the clubs' director.
  • The Phi Mu Sorority won the sorority "scholarship loving cup of the Interfraternity Council" for the third consecutive year.

For more information about the Interfraternity Council visit: http://www.dickinson.edu/storg/ifc/about.html

Date: 1925

Founded in 1925, the McIntire Literary Society was depicted in the 1924 Microcosm. Frances Smith, Evelyn Wardel, Della Fitzgerald, Ruth Taylor, Mary Miller, Ruth Teitrick, and Erma Porteus served as officers during the 1923-1924 school year. The society was comprised of forty members.

Date: c. 1925

Date: 1926

In the 1926 Microcosm, the McIntire Literary Society published a brief history of their organization. According to the organization's historian Amanda Wertz, the McIntire Literary Society was founded on January 5, 1921. On that day, the society was named, the constitution adopted, and the meeting time set for every Wednesday afternoon at 1:30. A very active organization, the literary society held programs dealing with "literary topics" and a debating team was established.

Date: February 1926

The Harrisburg Dickinson Alumnae Association held its annual banquet at the Penn-Harris Hotel on February 4, 1926. The alumnae committee in charge included Lillian Kell (class of 1919), Mrs. W. A. McCune ( member of the class of 1912 who did not graduate), Roxanna Garman (class of 1920), and Dorothy Buch (member of the class of 1924 who did not graduate).
The alumnae committee hosted Mrs. J. H. Morgan, Dean Josephine B. Meredith, Miss Hazel Bullock (college faculty) and Elva R. Lippi (class of 1918) as speakers and guests of honor at their annual banquet.

Mrs. C. Grant Cleaver [Ethelyn Hardesty], class of 1902, called together the alumnae of New York at her home for tea on 1916. This one reunion led to the creation of NY Alumnae club which was to meet 3 times a year, on the 2nd saturday of the months of November, February, and May.
On February 13, 1926, the Dickinson College Alumnae Club of NYC celebrated its 10th Anniversary with a party in the Club Room of the Y. W. C. A. on 610 Lexington Ave., New York City.

  • Gertrude Super Curtis, class of 1902, went on to teach French and English in the High School, Santa Ana, CA.
  • Georgia M. Cranston, class of 1906, had to resign her position in the Yonkers High School because of ill health and spent the winter of 1925 in St. Augustine, FL.
  • Mary S. Maust, class of 1910, and her husband Grathwohl C. Curran (of the same graduating class) left on a trip to Cuba on Feb. 3, 1926.

Edna Albert, class of 1905, served as the director for the preparation of "The Aftermath," a brochure of 113 pages recording the details of their class's 20th annual reunion.  The brochure was illustrated by reunion pictures at East College, included official progroms of the class commencement of 1905, copies of correspondence leading up to the reunion, and a section entitled "Letters and Lives" which told of the fortunes of their graduating class.

Date: April 12, 1926

In April 12, 1926, the women of Dickinson College held an "Exhibiton of Gymnastics" at the Y.W.C.A. Gym.

Date: May 1926

  • Elizabeth R. Bender, class of 1888, became Secretary of the Women's Foreign Missionary Society.
  • Mary C. Love, class of 1902, was asked to go on air where she broadcasted on the subject of "Women and the New Education." She claimed that while it was somewhat uncomfortable at first, she grew to find it simpler than talking to an audience.
  • Laura Harris, class of 1908, moved to Washington, D. C. after her husband, Major Ellis, entered the Army Industrial College in the state.

Dickinson College closed down on the afternoon of Mrs. Kathleen Moore Gooding and Mrs. Kathleen Rickenbaugh's funeral. They passed away on March 15, 1925 in Carlisle. Mrs. Gooding was the mother of Lydia Gooding, graduate of the class of 1910.

Date: August 1926

Amy Fisher, class of 1895, won the "honor" of becoming the first alumna to take out a Life Membership in the General Alumni Association. The price of Life Membership was $40. The cost could be broken down into two installments paid six months apart.

Date: August 19, 1926

In a letter to president Morgan, Dickinson College Trustee Lemuel T. Appold expresses concern regarding the possibility of allowing women on the Alumni Council. Claiming that his opinon on the matter has noting to do with his negative stance on coeducation at Dickinson, Appold argued that this could have a negative affect on the organization. Moreover, few women were a part of the organization at this time.

Date: September 12, 1926

In a letter to Dean Meredith, Mrs. J. Lynn Barnard informs the Dean of Women that the local chapter of the AAUW will be offering loans to female college students.

Date: October 18, 1926

In this letter dated October 18, 1926, Trustee L. T. Appold wrote to President Morgan to further discuss the admitance of female graduates to the Alumni Council. Appold explained that "I am always opposed to this feminism which puts a woman on because she is a woman." He argues that if there were an outstanding woman she would be on the board. Until there is one, Appold conteded that the matter should be left alone.

Date: November 1926

As the year of 1925-1926 came to an end, most of the women on the Co-Ed Varsity squad graduated. There were only two women left: Jessie Poticher and Leona Barkalow. Their positions in the team were forwards. The rest of the team for that year would consist mostly of underclasswomen.
Coach Jeanette R. Packard, Director of Physical Education for women at the College, remained positive about the season, for as many as 35 girls expressed interest and attended tryouts.

  • Mary Ann Humrich, graduate of 1893, served on a committee in charge of the plans and building of Grace Reformed Church (Shippensburg, PA). The erection of the building cost $100,000. Humrich also served seven years as Recording Secretary of the Civic Club. There she was selected as a delegate to the tri-ennial convention of Women's Federated Clubs.
  • Mary A. Rebert did not graduate with the class of 1895. Married to Willam H. Ford, the couple spent the months of August and July of 1926 in Barrie, Ontario.
  • Anna Margaret Pearson, class of 1920, married William Brubaker, Jr. on September 18, 1926. The wedding took place in Oklahoma City.
  • Amy L. Brobst, class of 1920, married Ernest C. Douglaass in New York City. They took a honey-moon cruise to Bermuda, but made their home in Parkersburg, West Virginia.
  • Florence D. Baker, class of 1917, married Paul Loomis Hutchinson (Dickinson graduate of 1918) on July 15, 1926.

Date: 1927

This photograph depicts the Women's Basketball team in 1927.