The December 1949 Dickinson Alumnus documents a fellow alumna, Frances L. Willoughby '27, who was awarded a commission. However, Willoughby was not awarded just any kind of commission, but she received the honor of being the first woman doctor to receive a Navy Commission. She entered the Naval Reserve as a lieutenant in 1944, and appointed to permanent staff only 4 months after and in 1946 she achieved the rank of Lieutenant Commander. After graduating from Dickinson, Willoughby went on to receive a medical degree from the University of Arkansas School of Medicine.
The December 1957 issue of the Dickinson Alumnus documents the college's acquisition of Mathew's House for the use as a women's dormitory. Mathews House was the home of Col. Philip Mathews and his sister, Anne. The house would provide rooms for 26 female students. Mathews House would be the fourth small residence for women, along with Gibbs, Biddle and McIntire Houses.
This Progress Reports includes changes and plans to change College policy regarding female students. Most notably is the mention of the 1973 Spring semester and the success of the movements to "rescind the 'sex quota,' by action of the Board of Trustees, so that henceforth Dickinson College will strive for an approximate ratio of 1:1 in admissions of male and female students; and to omit singing at College functions the last verse of the Alma Mater, with its references to 'men' and 'sons.'"
Helen E. Scott and Raphael E. Rupp were both Dickinson graduates of 1922. They were married on April 9, 1927 at the home of the bride's uncle (Dr. C. W. Moody) in Plainville, CT. The newlyweds moved to Methuen, MA.
Dickinsonians who attended the wedding ceremony included: Albert Berkey (1922); Lillian Mindlin (non-graduate of 1923) - wife to Philip E. Semel; Edith M. Robinson (1922) - wife to E. O. Leslie; and Louise Rupp (1919).
- Sara Kathleen LeFevre, class of 1921, was from Carlisle, PA. She announced her engagement to John McCrosker Horner, of Harrisburg, when they attained a marriage licence in New York. They were to marry at the Little Church Around the Corner in New York City. The marriage ceremony would was set for some time in June of 1927 (a month or so after getting the license).
Lydia M. Gooding, class of 1910, became the librarian for Dickinson College; however, after some time working there she decided to return to school.
She became a student at School of Columbia University during the year of 1927; and was elected to become an instructor for them as of the school year of 1928-29.