President William W. Edel reported to the Board of Trustees that the Building Committee had secured bids for the new Women's Dormitory and had signed a contract with the Potteiger Company for $642,955. The college held ground-breaking activities at Homecoming Day on November 4, 1950. Edel praised the board for authorizing the construction of the women's dormitory in light of "world developments since the past June, which have resulted in the prospective decrease in the number of male students and the need to accomodate more women students." Edel believes that this addition will make the college competitive in the market for women students. He also suggests that the board consider a name for the new dormitory and lists as possibilities: Nisbet, Taney, Buchanan, King, Appold, Reed, Morgan, and Filler.
December 10, 1950
Location of Document in Archives
Board of Trustee Minutes December 10, 1950