The 1958 Microcosm entry on Sui Generis, a new local sorority established in 1956, noted that the group "formed a close bond of friendship and have made this the 'coming out' year."Â The women worked with their faculty advisor, Miss Christian Royer, to create their pin, decorate their new rooms in the basement of Biddle, draw up their constitution, and choose their official colors of dark blue and light blue.Â Sui Generis was also became a voting member of the college Pan-Hellenic Council this year.Â Like other women's fraternities on campus, Sui Generis supported various campus philanthrop
Zeta Tau Alpha's members maintained an active schedule of social and philanthropic activities in 1958.Â They continued to support their traditional philanthropy dedicated to cerebral palsy through the annual Songfest and they additionally held Christmas party with Phi Delta Theta for underprivileged children.Â Social activities included a bazaar called "Santa's Workshop," Big and Little Sisterhood events, as well as teas and formals for the seniors and pledges.Â The Beta Beta chapter also entertained a national officer during her week-long visit to the college.
Members of Pi Beta Phi continued to support and participate in traditional social and philanthropic activities.Â This included supporting the Settlement School in Gatlinburg, Tennessee and underprivileged children who were local to the Carlisle area.Â Additionally, members were expected to "achieve a high level of scholarship and to serve the college by participating in most campus activities."Â The social calendar included traditional formals and teas as well as bridge and dessert parties with fraternities.
Drayer Hall was the first residence hall in Dickinsonâ€™s history built by the college solely for women. This photo depicts three women studying in a Drayer Hall dorm room, c. 1950. The names of the women are not known. If you recognize someone in the photo, feel free to post the information below.
Drayer Hall was the first residence hall in Dickinsonâ€™s history built by the college solely for women. This photo depicts two women studying in a Drayer Hall dorm room,
c. 1950. The names of the women are not known. If you recognize someone
in the photo, feel free to post the information below.
In 1957 Phi Mu maintained an active schedule of philanthropic and social activities.Â Members visited the United Brethren Children's Home in Carlisle every week, and often held parties or took the children on outings.Â They also continued to maintain their toy cart at the Carlisle Hospital.Â Social and sisterhood activities included cocktail parties with fraternities,Â traditional formals and teas, and two retreats to Camp Shand.
In the 1957 edition of the Microcosm, a new local sorority, Sui Generis, made an appearance.Â According to the entry, Sui Generis was officially founded on Decemeber 15, 1956 with the goals of forming bonds of loyalty, friendship, and participation.Â However, the organization had been on campus for some time before this.Â In 1957, plans were still in the works for a constitution, which would give Sui Generis official representation on campus, as well as permanent meeting rooms.Â The members' activities in 1957 included providing donations to the campus chest drive and sponsoring a needy chi
President William W. Edel suggested possible names for the new Women's Dormitory to the Board of Trustees. He presented one of the suggestions that the buildng be named Longsdorff Hall "in honor of the Longsdorf Family [sic] which suppied four women students to enter Dickinson College, among whom was Dr. Zatae Longsdorf Straw [sic]." He recommended, however, that the board select a name out of the college's historical past and that the hall be named Mary Dickinson Hall for the wife of John Dickinson.