Student housing

Photograph of Female Students in Witwer Hall, c.1965

circa 1965

This photo depicts four women in a Witwer Hall bedroom, c. 1965. The names of the women are not known. If you recognize someone in the photo, feel free to post the information below.

President's Council Established


In 1956 a women's government organization was organized through the establishment of the President's Council. The council was established with the purpose of creating uniformity in rules for all of the dormitories and to act as a link between women students and the administration. According to the Microcosm, in its first year, the President's Council "made great progress in realizing its duties and responsibilities," which included meeting weekly with the Dean of Women.

The Fellahs in Fraternity Houses While the Ladies in Metzger Hall and Old West

April 11, 1990

While the majority of the male population lived in fraternity houses on and off campus, their female counterparts resided in primarily off-campus establishements like Metzger Hall, which were located some blocks away from Dickinson. Due to the lack of housing and the influx of female students, the College began to house its female students in places such as Old West. Such was the case that was described by Sarah Andrews in her interview. Also, at the time there was no Sorority Housing in which they could have meetings and hold social events like the fraternities did. 

Drayer Hall built to accommodate women in 1952


The 1954 Microcosm shows a picture of the recently completed Drayer Hall which, according to the Ten Year Development Plan, was constructed in 1952 to house upperclass women students.

Ladies' Hall from 1896


    On one of the first pages of the 1896 Microcosm is a picture of the Ladies' Hall, located somewhere on West Pomfret Street in Carlisle. It was purchased by President George E. Reed on May 16, 1893 for $5,000 from Samuel M. Hepburn . Originally it was used to house a local fraternity, Alpha Zeta Phi, but then in 1895 it was turned into a residence for women. The building was called "Ladies' Hall" until February 7, 1905, when it was renamed in honor of John Zacharias Lloyd. He was a recently deceased Methodist clergyman and trustee who bequeathed $10,000 to the College.

Microcosm Looks into the Crystal Ball and Sees New Women's Dormitory


The 1949 Microcosm discussed the "Ten-Year Development Program" that President William W. Edel presented on the 175th Anniversary of the college. The yearbook reproduced excerpts from the speech. In one excerpt, President Edel admits that the female students' living quarters are old and that the college has provided no dormitory for the students since the institution became co-educational in 1884.

A Plea for Better Accomondations for Female Students at Dickinson College


In her 1905 oration "Dickinson's New Era," Florence Hensel Bursk argues for improved conditions for female students at Dickinson College. Following the Denny Hall fire of 1905, alumnea and friends of the college began donating to the restoration of the hall and the overall insitution. Bursk asserted that such contributions engendered the "birth of a new era" at Dickinson College. Despite the great strides being made by Dickinson during this period, Bursk argued that conditions for female students were lacking.