Victoria Hann, of the class of 1950 and the Dean of Women at Dickinson College, was given a promotion by the Board of Trustees.Â Hann was promoted to the rank of assistant professor.Â Dean Hann graduated from Dickinson Phi Beta Kappa in 1950, and went on to earn a masters degree at Columbia University.Â She was appointed dean of women in 1964.
Edel, William W.
President William W. Edel suggested possible names for the new Women's Dormitory to the Board of Trustees. He presented one of the suggestions that the buildng be named Longsdorff Hall "in honor of the Longsdorf Family [sic] which suppied four women students to enter Dickinson College, among whom was Dr. Zatae Longsdorf Straw [sic]." He recommended, however, that the board select a name out of the college's historical past and that the hall be named Mary Dickinson Hall for the wife of John Dickinson.
President William W. Edel reported to the Board of Trustees that the Building Committee had secured bids for the new Women's Dormitory and had signed a contract with the Potteiger Company for $642,955. The college held ground-breaking activities at Homecoming Day on November 4, 1950.
President William W. Edel mentioned in his report to the Board of Trustees that Phoebe Follmer married John F. Bacon on November 11, 1950 and was granted a leave of absence without pay for the rest of the academic year. The college appointed Mary-Margaret Kellogg as Acting Dean of Women with the Rank of Instructor for part-time service at a salary of $125.00 per month. He requested the board's approval for this action.
In a report to the Board of Trustees, President William W. Edel recommended the removal of the restrictions in existence at the college on the percentage of women students allowed to enroll. His report on faculty reductions suggests that college enrollment had declined significantly and that the college's finances were in danger. The Board of Trustees, however, approved the recommendation with the stipulation that the "present restrictions on the percentage of women students be removed for the present emergency" [emphasis added].
"It seems to me that the time has now arrived for us to face the question of the actual construction of the Women's Dormitory," writes President William W. Edel in his report to the Board of Trustees. He recommends that the board not delay any longer in the creation of detailed construction plans. He outlines areas in the budget from which the college can draw funds to pay for the construction. He suggests that the college begin building by June and that a Building Committee acquire plans, specifications and bids before the construction of the first unit of the women's dorm.
President William W. Edel reported the inadequate housing situation to the Board of Trustees. The president explained that the lack of housing in Carlisle made it difficult to attract prospective professors. Due to the fact that male students would not occupy the Gibbs House during the next academic year, the college planned to use it to house 20 female students. This change would mean that women students would reside in Metzger Hall, East College, and the Gibbs House.
The 1949 Microcosm discussed the "Ten-Year Development Program" that President William W. Edel presented on the 175th Anniversary of the college. The yearbook reproduced excerpts from the speech. In one excerpt, President Edel admits that the female students' living quarters are old and that the college has provided no dormitory for the students since the institution became co-educational in 1884.