Pi Beta Phi
Pi Beta Phi in 1952
Netta May Hoffman Hakes, class of 1900, passed away on Sunday July 29 at St. Vincent's Hospital, where she resided after an operation. Hoffman Hakes had been an active woman throughout her life. After graduation she became an active member of Dickinson Alumnae Club and the Pi Beta Phi Alumanae Club in New York. An active suffrage movement worker, she later canvassed for Liberty Bonds and other forms of work to aid the World War cause.
Her burial took place on August 2, 1923 at Cherry Hilly in Maryland.
Constitution and By-Laws of Local Panhellenic
Panhellenic in 1923-1924 consisted of Pi Beta Phi, Chi Omega, Phi Mu, and a local sorority, Zeta Eta Phi. The Consitution regulates the struction of Panhel and also the rules for rushing. During the first week of school, all women participate in a "Little Sister" plan sponsored by the Y.W.C.A. All women in sororities must not reveal their membership during this week.Â After this week and prior to rushing, no new girls and present sorority members may associate socially or discuss Greek life. Bids were sent out the first Thursday after Thanksgiving.
Panhellenic Association Centennial
The Dickinson College Panhellenic Association celebrated 100 years at the College in 2007. All current sorority members on campus attended and the Mayor of Carlisle made a proclamation declaring March 5 as "Dickinson College Panhellenic Badge Day". The sororities on campus at this time were: Delta Nu, Kappa Alpha Theta, and Pi Beta Phi.
Pi Beta Phi in 1951
The members of the Pennsylvania Gamma Chapter of Pi Beta Phi maintained their dedication to service and social activities in 1951.Â Their main service projects included supporting an Italian war orphan as well as their national chapter's Settlement School in Tennessee. Officers of Pi Beta Phi in 1951 included Sarah L. Haddock, president; Suzanne E. Horner, vice-president; Nancy Bartoil, recording secretary; and Emily G. Mohler, treasurer.
Pi Beta Phi in 1950
Pi Beta Phi, the first national women's fraternity at Dickinson, continued their service, scholastic, and social activities in 1950.Â One of their activities consisted of sponsoring a series of rummage sales, which raised money in support of the chapter's "adopted" war orphan in Italy - Inide Vasalli.Â They also held their annual Settlement School Dance, and the proceeds benefited the Pi Phi-sponsored schools for underprivileged children in Tennessee.Â The following women served as officers of the Pennsylvania Gamma Chapter of Pi Beta Phi: Lois Jana Barnard, President; Nancy L.