In her essay "The Value of a Classical Education in Modern Times," Laura M. Sweigert argued for the great importance of classical education in the United States. She asserted that classical education was important for five main reasons:
- In order to understand our civilization we must understand those of the past. Our civilization is built upon classical models.
- The greatest philosophy was written in the classic languages.
- Better understand English etymology
- The great men have been classically trained
- The U.S. Government is based on ancient models.
Laura M. Sweigert's interpretation goes against many who believe that a practical course is lest wasteful that the study of dead languages.