In 1956 a women's government organization was organized through the establishment of the President's Council. The council was established with the purpose of creating uniformity in rules for all of the dormitories and to act as a link between women students and the administration. According to the Microcosm, in its first year, the President's Council "made great progress in realizing its duties and responsibilities," which included meeting weekly with the Dean of Women. Membership on the council consisted of three officers: a President, Vice-President, and Secretary, as well as the presidents of each of the women's dormitories. These positions were generally elected in the spring of each year; in 1956 the positions were filled by Shirley Cranwill, President; Sandra Picone, Vice-President; and Nancy Kelley, Secretary.
Location of Document in Archives