Written by Martha Slotten, this history of Metzger explains the building's early beginnings as a Prep School for Girls. After Drayer was built in the early 1950s, only freshman girls lived in Metzger until it was sold in 1963 and later dismantled. The completion of Drayer offered a local housing option for female students who would no longer have to walk many blocks to classes.
As a further elaboration on her "Women as Leaders" survey, a female graduate reminisces on some mischief she participated in on campus. She remembers sunbathing on the Drayer roof, crawling out of Drayer's basement windows after hours, climbing into the Denny bell tower at night and climbing onto the roof of the library when it was under construction. She also remembers "going to that funny monument between Adams Hall and the Law School to do silly things" as well as "sitting in boxcars on the railroad" near the Biddle Field."
In her "Women as Leaders" survey, a female member of the class of 1961 describes the living conditions for the women while she studied at Dickinson. She felt they were "excellent, with variety available." The women had meals served to them, along with tablecloths, proper "dressing" for meals, etc. She called mealtime "an oasis with close friends twice a day."
The Dickinsonian reports on the issue of campus rules and surveys student opinions. One fraternity man described the social rules as puritannical. Bill Jones disagreed with the rule regarding women visitors in fraternity houses. According to the article, many students expressed disatisfaction over the "lack of places for couples or mixed groups to meet informally...." Shirley Bahrs complained of the lack of activities on campus, and Betsy Kraft bemoaned the fact that Drayer Hall, a women's dormitory, had no recreation room.
Drayer Hall was the first residence hall in Dickinsonâ€™s history built by the college solely for women. This photo depicts three women studying in a Drayer Hall dorm room, c. 1950. The names of the women are not known. If you recognize someone in the photo, feel free to post the information below.
Drayer Hall was the first residence hall in Dickinsonâ€™s history built by the college solely for women. This photo depicts two women studying in a Drayer Hall dorm room,
c. 1950. The names of the women are not known. If you recognize someone
in the photo, feel free to post the information below.