An article in The Dickinsonian, "New Social Rules Changes Result from SREC Efforts," explained some of the changes adopted that the Social Rules Evaluation Committee proposed, including unchaperoned visiting hours for women in fraternity houses as well as more permissive visiting policies for men in sorority houses. The SREC's proposals also resulted in increased late hours and car privileges for upperclass women with a minimum grade point average.
According to an article in The Dickinsonian, the Social Rules Evaluation Committee, formed to address the potential change to social rules, chose to evaluate women's regulations and sorority social regulations. The committee adopted this philosophy for procedure: "The work of this committee is predicted [sic] on the belief that college students are mature, responsible people capable of setting up a sound, acceptable social code of their own and also of enforcing this code upon themselves...."
The 1958 Microcosm entry on Sui Generis, a new local sorority established in 1956, noted that the group "formed a close bond of friendship and have made this the 'coming out' year."Â The women worked with their faculty advisor, Miss Christian Royer, to create their pin, decorate their new rooms in the basement of Biddle, draw up their constitution, and choose their official colors of dark blue and light blue.Â Sui Generis was also became a voting member of the college Pan-Hellenic Council this year.Â Like other women's fraternities on campus, Sui Generis supported various campus philanthrop
Zeta Tau Alpha's members maintained an active schedule of social and philanthropic activities in 1958.Â They continued to support their traditional philanthropy dedicated to cerebral palsy through the annual Songfest and they additionally held Christmas party with Phi Delta Theta for underprivileged children.Â Social activities included a bazaar called "Santa's Workshop," Big and Little Sisterhood events, as well as teas and formals for the seniors and pledges.Â The Beta Beta chapter also entertained a national officer during her week-long visit to the college.
Members of Pi Beta Phi continued to support and participate in traditional social and philanthropic activities.Â This included supporting the Settlement School in Gatlinburg, Tennessee and underprivileged children who were local to the Carlisle area.Â Additionally, members were expected to "achieve a high level of scholarship and to serve the college by participating in most campus activities."Â The social calendar included traditional formals and teas as well as bridge and dessert parties with fraternities.
In 1957 Phi Mu maintained an active schedule of philanthropic and social activities.Â Members visited the United Brethren Children's Home in Carlisle every week, and often held parties or took the children on outings.Â They also continued to maintain their toy cart at the Carlisle Hospital.Â Social and sisterhood activities included cocktail parties with fraternities,Â traditional formals and teas, and two retreats to Camp Shand.
In the 1957 edition of the Microcosm, a new local sorority, Sui Generis, made an appearance.Â According to the entry, Sui Generis was officially founded on Decemeber 15, 1956 with the goals of forming bonds of loyalty, friendship, and participation.Â However, the organization had been on campus for some time before this.Â In 1957, plans were still in the works for a constitution, which would give Sui Generis official representation on campus, as well as permanent meeting rooms.Â The members' activities in 1957 included providing donations to the campus chest drive and sponsoring a needy chi
Dean of Women Mary Watson Carson sends a memo to Dr. Rubendall regarding the "Social Opinion Survey" of the Women's Group. She explains that she did not give permission for them to attach her name to the survey. According to the dean, the Women's Group distributed the questionnaire in residence halls and mail boxes. Dean Carson reports that the group formed early in the fall and invited some faculty women to meet with them. The same week that Carson wrote this letter, Student Senate officially recognized the group as an organization.
In 1958, Chi Omega members contributed to the Tri-County-Crippled Children's Home and supported Christmas and Easter Seal envelopes. According to the Microcosm entry, Chi Omegas had a "heavily laden" social calendar involving activities such as Frisbee matches against Sigma Chi, hockey games against Phi Kaps during the fall sports season, dessert parties, "raking" parties, and other socials with men's fraternities. Seniors were honored at their "High Society" formal, and pledges at the pledge formal dance.
In 1957, Zeta Tau Alpha continued to serve the community and college. To support their cerebral palsy philanthropy, the women sponsored a songfest where various organizations on campus participated. They also held their annual Christmas party for underprivileged children with the fraternity Phi Delta Theta. Their social activities included pizza and dessert parties, a Pledge Tea, a Founder's Day Luncheon, and formals. Like Pi Beta Phi and Chi Omega, in 1957 Zeta Tau Alpha also began to change the executive board mid-year.