In the 1915-16 student handbook, published by the Christian Associations are the portraits of Anna M. Shuey, President of the Young Women's Christian Association, and Helen Jones, Vice-president. Prior to the 1915-16 academic year only the portraits of the President and Vice-president of the Young Men's Christian Association were included in the student handbooks funded by both Christian organizations. Also included in the student handbook is the full constitution of the YWCA as well as its mission statement.
Included in the 1914-15 student handbook, published by the Christian
associations, is the full constitution of the Young Women's Christian
Association. Prior to 1913 only parts of the YWCA constitution were
printed in the student handbook. The constitution included information
on membership, meetings, Bible study, mission study, missionary work,
conventions, student conferences, and its mission statement. Article II
of the constitution states that the object of the organization "shall
be the development of Christian character in its members and the
Following its formation on June 26, 1883, the Committee on the Admission of Women presented its report on June 27, 1883. Trustee Alexander Gibson presented the report verbally. According to the minutes, "On motion consideration of the question was postponed for the present."
Included in the 1913 student handbook, published by the Christian associations, is the full constitution of the Young Women's Christian Association. Prior to 1913 only parts of the YWCA constitution were printed in the student handbook. The constitution included information on membership, meetings, Bible study, mission study, missionary work, conventions, student conferences, and its mission statement.
On June 26, 1883 the Board of Trustees decided to form another Committee on the Admission of Women. Trustees Gibson, Bird, Young, Hill, Hendrickson, Fisk and McKeehan were appointed to the committee.
Christine Crist (Class of 1946) reports in an interview that the Air Force cadets came to Dickinson's campus in March 1943. At this point, the 44 men and "central part of the student body had just left." The presence of the cadets wrecked havoc on campus life.
Helen L. Witmer graduated in the year 1919; and set off to the University of Wisconsin, where she obtained her master's degree. There she applied and was awarded the Bryn Mawr Fellowship in social economy, valued at $810 at the time it was bestowed. It was to be used between 1923-1924, after wich she would return to Winsconsin to get her Ph. D.
Christine Crist (Class of 1946) describes the only dances that took place at the college during the WWII period. In December, the school hosted the Doll Dance in the gym (now the Weiss Arts Center). The Doll Dance was a formal dance for which attendees would bring dolls as a donation to disadvantaged children. The men used this opportunity to "look over the...newest freshmen girls...so we all got a big rush." The Mid-Winter Ball, held in January, was the last dance the college hosted for the duration of Crist's academic career.
In an interview, Christine Crist (Class of 1946) recounts the story of a secret marriage between an "impressive senior" at Dickinson who married Soupy Campbell, a soldier in World War II, the year before her last on campus. She left school without receiving her diploma, and Crist later discovered that she was married and pregnant. Campbell died during the war. To Crist, this story "stands out as a symbol of those years."
In an interview with Christine Crist (Class of 1946), the Dickinson graduate describes life at Dickinson College when a majority of the male students left for World War II. She guesses that the ratio of men to women prior to the war was five-to-one and reports that, in 1943, "the heart of the student body was picked up." In 1945, 11 men and 41 women graduated from Dickinson College, reflecting the male-to-female ratio after the war began.
At the previous meeting on June 27, 1878, the Board of Trustees decided to adopt a resolution allowing women to enroll at Dickinson College. They then sent the resolution to the Faculty for approval. After looking over the resolution, the Faculty agreed that the admission of women was not in the best interest of female students. According to the faculty, "there are certain proprieties & adaptations that can not be overlooked.
In 1951 the members of the Beta Delta Chapter of Phi Mu continued to dedicate themselves to philanthropic and social projects inspired by their national chapter.Â Their philanthropic work in 1951 included maintaining a "toy cart" at the Carlisle Hospital and making weekly visits to a local orphanage.Â Phi Mu pledges participated in the Pan-Hellenic Doll Dance, winning a trophy for their efforts.Â The executive officers of Phi Mu in 1951 were Joan C. Kline, president; Rachel A. Smith, vice-president; Nancy L. Bain, secretary; and Barbara J.
The women of Zeta Tau Alpha, founded at Dickinson in 1924, continued to promote scholastic and philanthropic work among their members.Â Many of their activities stem from the National chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha, including the National Scholarship Fund, which has provided for the education of more than 300 girls; the Naitonal Society for Crippled Children and Adults, and the Cerebral Palsy Foundation.Â Mary Jo Edinger served as the chapter president, Dorthy Elizabeth Parker was the vice president, Elinor J. Pond was the secretary, and Louise M. Mixell was the treasurer.
In 1951, the Delta Chapter of Chi Omega maintained a busy agenda of service, scholastic, and social activities.Â They continued to work in the Carlisle Community Center, and in addition they sponsored a veteran hospital bed and contributed to the creation of CARE packages.Â They held roundtable discussions on vocations and held their annual Pledge Dance and Spring Formal.Â Additionally, the Delta chapter was represented nationally, as Delta alumnae Mary Love Collins and Elizabeth Dyer served as National President and National Vice-President of Chi Omega, respectively.Â The officers of the D
Panhellenic in 1923-1924 consisted of Pi Beta Phi, Chi Omega, Phi Mu, and a local sorority, Zeta Eta Phi. The Consitution regulates the struction of Panhel and also the rules for rushing. During the first week of school, all women participate in a "Little Sister" plan sponsored by the Y.W.C.A. All women in sororities must not reveal their membership during this week.Â After this week and prior to rushing, no new girls and present sorority members may associate socially or discuss Greek life. Bids were sent out the first Thursday after Thanksgiving.
The Dickinson College Panhellenic Association celebrated 100 years at the College in 2007. All current sorority members on campus attended and the Mayor of Carlisle made a proclamation declaring March 5 as "Dickinson College Panhellenic Badge Day". The sororities on campus at this time were: Delta Nu, Kappa Alpha Theta, and Pi Beta Phi.
The enrollments for the academic year following 1923 were expected to be large both for the College and Law school. It was expected that there would be 520 students at the College and that a large number of prospective students would be turned away.
Hence, early in July, an edict was issued stating that " NO more women students would be admitted to the college" (emphasis added). Nonetheless, applications from women aspiring to be admitted continued to arrive.
The Board of Trustees held their annual meeting every June. In 1923 they agreed to increase professors salaries very slightly and to endorse The Alumnus publication. Moreover, they approved the student body's request for the collection of a fee
from incoming students, which would be directed at supporting
activities such as the Athletic Association and Glee Clubs. This would
be of further use since it would reduce the number of people that
failed to show up when they were expected.
The members of the Pennsylvania Gamma Chapter of Pi Beta Phi maintained their dedication to service and social activities in 1951.Â Their main service projects included supporting an Italian war orphan as well as their national chapter's Settlement School in Tennessee. Officers of Pi Beta Phi in 1951 included Sarah L. Haddock, president; Suzanne E. Horner, vice-president; Nancy Bartoil, recording secretary; and Emily G. Mohler, treasurer.
In 1950 the women of the Beta Delta chapter of Phi Mu kept busy with a variety of social, athletic, and service-related activities.Â In the past year they celebrated the 30th anniversary of their chapter's installation, created and ran a "Toycart" in the children's ward of the Carlisle Hospital, and caputred the Interfraternity Basketball Cup for 1949.Â The chapter also held possession of the Pi Beta Phi Scholarship Cup for the third consecutive year.Â Members of the chapter who served as executive officers in 1950 included Rosalie R. Enders, president; Barbara J.