The 1958 Microcosm entry on Sui Generis, a new local sorority established in 1956, noted that the group "formed a close bond of friendship and have made this the 'coming out' year."Â The women worked with their faculty advisor, Miss Christian Royer, to create their pin, decorate their new rooms in the basement of Biddle, draw up their constitution, and choose their official colors of dark blue and light blue.Â Sui Generis was also became a voting member of the college Pan-Hellenic Council this year.Â Like other women's fraternities on campus, Sui Generis supported various campus philanthrop
Zeta Tau Alpha's members maintained an active schedule of social and philanthropic activities in 1958.Â They continued to support their traditional philanthropy dedicated to cerebral palsy through the annual Songfest and they additionally held Christmas party with Phi Delta Theta for underprivileged children.Â Social activities included a bazaar called "Santa's Workshop," Big and Little Sisterhood events, as well as teas and formals for the seniors and pledges.Â The Beta Beta chapter also entertained a national officer during her week-long visit to the college.
Members of Pi Beta Phi continued to support and participate in traditional social and philanthropic activities.Â This included supporting the Settlement School in Gatlinburg, Tennessee and underprivileged children who were local to the Carlisle area.Â Additionally, members were expected to "achieve a high level of scholarship and to serve the college by participating in most campus activities."Â The social calendar included traditional formals and teas as well as bridge and dessert parties with fraternities.
- Mary Ann Humrich, graduate of 1893, served on a committee in charge of the plans and building of Grace Reformed Church (Shippensburg, PA). The erection of the building cost $100,000. Humrich also served seven years as Recording Secretary of the Civic Club. There she was selected as a delegate to the tri-ennial convention of Women's Federated Clubs.
- Mary A. Rebert did not graduate with the class of 1895. Married to Willam H. Ford, the couple spent the months of August and July of 1926 in Barrie, Ontario.
In her memoir recounting her experiences as an early female student at Dickinson College, Low discusses the various intricacies involved with late nineteenth-century student cultures. Low explained that a fellow female student told her to "be very careful in making friends, as once in a set it was extremely difficult if not impossible to change, as both the college and town were made up of cliques." Moreover, Low recalls being told about the proper etiquette after one has been serenaded.
A Letter to the Editor in the February 25, 1966 issue of the Dickinsonian critiqued the behavior of the Music Room sergeant. According to "Janettja," the sergeant was trespassing on the privacy of students who frequented the music room by addressing them with phrases like "Cut the passion" and "No love-making in the Union" in response to a "friendly kiss."
In her memoir recounting her experiences as an early female student at Dickinson College, Low recalls a fellow "co-ed" sophomore who "was more like a Dean than just another student." Though Low never mentions the woman's name, she explains that "She took her work seriously and co-education as her personal responsibility." Moreover, at an early party hosted by the sophomore "co-ed" she urged her fellow female students to sign a pledge proclaiming that "'We are set apart, destined for careers, we were superior and should not allow any entangling alliances to interfere with our life work." Unf
In "The Unparalleled Men's Magazine: 'Vogue,'" David Bedick refers to an article in the previous issue of The Dickinsonian and uses it as a springboard for a satirical piece on Vogue as a men's magazine. Bedick jokes that Vogue "does away with mere pretentions to literary-philosophical offerings and concentrates, instead, on presenting page after page of the most beautiful women in the world."
In "The View from Here," Tom Fornwalt responds to a New York Times article of April 25, 1966 that addresses the university's role in student life. According to this article, some universities surveyed were reluctant to legislate student conduct "in loco parentis," although they have been slow to adjust to the sexual revolution. University officials expressed more concern with drug use than with students' sexual behavior.
In her memoir recounting her time at Dickinson, Elizabeth Low recalled a party for "co-eds." Hosted by a female student Low referred to as the unofficial "Dean" of female students, the party was an opportunity for early female students at Dickinson to develop a community. According to Low, "even at the party, her [the hostess] theme song was coeducation." Low explains that the party "was fun, and the only really good time some of those girls had during their entire college course."
During her first few weeks at Dickinson College, Elizabeth Low attended her first football game.Â Accompanied by a male sophomore from Dickinson College, Low watched Dickinson play against Swarthmore. A few minutes into the game, their was an accident. The roomate of Low's escort was dead. He had hit his head while playing football. Low wrote that "That was the first football game I ever attended and by far the most tragic. There were many firsts in my life at Dickinson."
According to the 1942 student handbook, all incoming female students were "given a physical examination by physicians designated by the college." Female students seeking all other physican services were required to arrange appointments through the Dean of Women's office first.
During her first week at Dickinson College, Elizabeth A. Low described the ways in which Carlisle was different from the rural area from which she came. While walking with a professor down the streets of Carlisle, the professor exclaimed, "Aren't you accustomed to walking on pavements?" Low was terrified by his question. She explained, "I felt so conspicuous and embarrased that I did not want callers. Perhaps this sounds exaggerated.
Founded in 1925, the McIntire Literary Society was depicted in the 1924 Microcosm. Frances Smith, Evelyn Wardel, Della Fitzgerald, Ruth Taylor, Mary Miller, Ruth Teitrick, and Erma Porteus served as officers during the 1923-1924 school year. The society was comprised of forty members.
Founded in 1921, the McIntire Literary Society was depicted in the 1924 Microcosm. Evelyn Wardel, Mable Fitzgerald, Margaret Paul, Francis Smith, and Anna Hoke served as officers during the 1923-1924 school year. The society was comprised of forty members.
In the 1926 Microcosm, the McIntire Literary Society published a brief history of their organization. According to the organization's historian Amanda Wertz, the McIntire Literary Society was founded on January 5, 1921. On that day, the society was named, the constitution adopted, and the meeting time set for every Wednesday afternoon at 1:30. A very active organization, the literary society held programs dealing with "literary topics" and a debating team was established.
The McIntire Literary Society, the Second Women's Literary Society, Is Pictured in the 1923 Microcosm
Founded in 1921, the McIntire Literary Society was first depicted in the Microcosm in 1923. Mary Garland, Elizabeth Nolte, Olivette Yeingst, and Anna Hoke served as officers during the 1922-1923 school year. The society was comprised of forty-four members.
Included in the 1941 student handbook is a list of six rules freshman students were required to adhere to. Freshman women were expected to wear armbands, rise when the Dean of Women or any other college official entered the room, women were required to speak to all professors and their wives, "give the right of precedence to the women of the upper classes," and were required to know "something of the college history."
The Women's Freshman Adjustment Committee served as a liason for incoming female students to assist in their transition to college life. This committee provided general information, information on equipment, courses, etc...
Drayer Hall was the first residence hall in Dickinsonâ€™s history built by the college solely for women. This photo depicts a woman relaxing in a Drayer Hall dorm room, c. 1950. The name of the woman is not known. If you recognize her, feel free to post the information below.