Interviewed by the staff of the Dickinsonian, Dean Josephine B. Meredith is quoted as saying that she liked "teaching students who provide me with such a unique response." According to the article, the dean could not analyze the reason for the students' responsiveness. She congratulated the newly-formed Chapel Committee on its chapel programs. She advised the men to organize their own student senate separate from the women's student senate. The dean's interviewer also asked whether or not she would do anything about the "eleven o' clock rule at Metzger," or the women's curfew.
An issue of the Free Dickinsonian called for the college administration to tear down East College, or "Old East;" to require resident students, including women, to eat in the cafeteria; and to create a smoker's lounge. According to the Free Dickinsonian, there was a "new fad" during the 1940s: female smokers. Other colleges, like Williams College and Penn Hall School, had recognized this "new fad." The Free Dickinsonian argued that, in the next decade, the college should install a smoking lounge in Metzger Hall for the co-ed students.
The Dickinsonian reports that Nancy Person was elected as its next editor-in-chief and Marjorie Monroe as its next business manager at the Editorial Board Meeting of April 18, 1944. The article lists the students' previous experience with journalism: both students worked on newspaper staffs during high school and served on the Dickinsonian prior to their election.
Marion V. Bell (Class of 1946), sister of Whitfield Bell, appears in the 1945 Microcosm with glasses and slacks. News editor of The Dickinsonian, Bell is described as liking "slacks, apples, and long walks." The Microcosm also describes Bell as being an "anti-anti-bifurcationist" (anti-bifurcation rules prevented female students from wearing slacks).
The Dickinsonian reports that the Pan-Hellenic dance, chaired by Ellen Morrow, would be scaled back from previous years. According to the president of the Pan-Hellenic Council, Elinor G. Derr, they would not hire a professional interior decorator and would use records for music. The dance would beÂ Pan-Hellenic Week's only all-College event.
In 1955, the women of Chi Omega maintained a busy schedule of scholastic, social, and service-related activities.Â Their serivce projects included Campus Chest and assisting at a local Recreational Center for underprivileged children.Â They raised money for each of these activities through rummage sales and a jazz concert.Â They organized informal discussions with professors on pertinent topics and held a tea at the beginning of the year to welcome new faculty and transfer students.Â Their social activities included a hayride, Winter Formal, breakfast in rooms, serenading college men, and a
In 1954 the women of Pi Beta Phi dedicated their time to a number of philanthropic and social activities.Â Their most important philanthropy continued to be their contributions to the Pi Phi Settlement School in Gatlinburg, Tennessee.Â Members were expected to uphold the principles of "true democracy, good sportsmanship, and high standards of conduct."Â The officers of Pi Phi in 1954 were Rae E. Halberstadt, President; Mary E. Smith, Vice President; Frances J. Holt, Secretary; and Doroth L. Dykstra, Treasurer.
In 1954, the women of the Pan-Hellenic Council continued their work toward maintaining good relations among all of the women's fraternities and supervising the rush process, which was deferred to the second semester.Â In the fall, they organized two Pan-Hellenic teas, which allowed freshmen women to meet upperclassmen, sponsored the annual Pan-Hellenic Weekend, and sold flowers and Parents' Day and Homecoming.Â The members of the Council now receive Pan-Hellenic Keys, to show their affiliation with the organization and to promote good spirit and cooperation among the women's groups.Â Shirle
The first mention of a sorority is documented in the 1893 Microcosm amidst the pages of fraternities. All that is stated is the initials A.H.L. as well as their colors, gold and lavender. The members include Mary A. Humrich, Eurania R. Mapes, Margaret A. B. Line, Elizabeth Root, Charlotte B. Gardner, and Margaret S. Maxwell. No further explanation is given about the chapter and it is never mentioned again in any subsequent yearbooks.
- The Women's Glee Club was in action under the leadership of William Bretz (of Harrisburg), who in the year of 1924 completed his fourth year as the clubs' director.
- The Phi Mu Sorority won the sorority "scholarship loving cup of the Interfraternity Council" for the third consecutive year.
For more information about the Interfraternity Council visit: http://www.dickinson.edu/storg/ifc/about.html
An article printed in the Dickinsonian discusses the history of women at Dickinson College. From the first acceptance of a woman as a student and female professors being admitted under the faculty status, to the celebrations and workshops, "Voices of Today's Woman," taking place the weekend of October 6th, 1972 in celebrating the changes that have been made.
Written in the 1893 Microcosm is a memorium to Angella E. Harry, who would have graduated in 1896. The poem inserted was written by her sister, Emma V. Harry, who also attended Dickinson College and was in the class of 1895. Further documentation states that Angela died in Carlisle, but the cause of her death is not documented. Her death was also unmentioned in a following account of the class of 1896's events that year.
Frances Vuilleumier (Class of 1924) reports in an interview that Dickinson had four sororities: Pi Phi, Chi Omega, Phi Mu, and Zeta Tua Alpha. She characterizes Pi Phi as the oldest and strongest sorority as well as the only sorority that "survived." According to Vuilleumier, "it was considered quite a good thing to be a Pi [Phi]," and daughters of faculty members often joined Pi Phi. Chi Omega, explains Vuilleumier, was not as old as Pi Phi. Vuilleumier claims that its members were "very social." Vuilleumier's sorority, Phi Mu, was a newer sorority and was always academic.
The Zeta Eta Phi Fraternity began as one of the local sororities. Seeking to be part of a national organization, however, they changed their name and became the Beta Beta chapter under the Zeta Tau Alpha sorority.
A welcome reception open to the student body was given at Memorial Hall, but the ceremonies partitioned by national officers were held at Mrs. Fred P. Mohler's home (wife of one of Dickinson's professors).
Frances Vuilleumier (Class of 1924) claims in an interview that the college viewed men and women equally in the 1920s. She believes faculty like female students because they performed better in the classroom than their male colleagues. Frances recalls completing the same academic work as male students did.
The 1893 Microcosm was the first one to display advertisements of colleges for women.There are two colleges being advertised, both Irving College in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania and Wilson College in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania.
- Margaret Saxton, class of 1900, went on to teach modern languages in the Julia Richman High School in NYC.
- Mary C. Love, later married to a Mr. Collins, was member of the graduate class of 1902. She became a Kentucky lawyer and national executive head of the Chi Omega Fraternity.
- Laura Harris was a non-graduate of the class of 1908. She married Major E.D. Ellis and agreed to move to Cambridge, MA for two years when he was offered a detail as a student in the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration.
In the 1891 Microcosm, there is a dedication page with a satirical poem that is dedicated to girls. This poem is clearly mocking them by stating that to men they are "the creators of his happiness and the destroyers of his peace" and that this book is "affectionately dedicated" to them. On the following page is a drawing of a suggestively dressed female, again mocking women.
The 1890 Microcosm shows an advertisement for Dickinson College and the services it offers. In the category of the Preparartory Department, the advertisement mentions, "The course of study covers three years, and prepares students of both sexes thoroughly for Dickinson College, or for any literary institution in the country." This shows the college's acceptance of co-education by advertising directly for new students of both sexes.
The Browning Literary Society was the first mention in the 1890 Microcosm of a society with female involvment. The society was completely comprised of women. It seems that almost all the women who were on campus were involved with the Browning Literary Society. The President was Jessica Dale Longsdorff, Vice-President was Leonora Whiting, Business Manager was Elizabeth A.